Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Transplant time

The tomatoes are doing well, the grape tomates are now in four inch pots and about a foot tall.  Gerry Knauf's tomatoes are already blooming, but I am happy with mine, they are strong and doing well.

Yesterday, April 25th, Easter Monday, I planted three different kinds of basil in the mini squares, so we will see how they germinate.  I planted nasturtiums a few weeks ago and only two came up out of seven, so that was disappointing.  I planted more today, however I soaked them for about four hours before I planted them just to see if that would make a difference.  Today I am planting Cos lettuce (romaine), Calabrese broccoli, and Purple Peacock.  I got the seeds from Jim Ternier in Humboldt Saskatchewan, a seed collector so we will see how they do.  I found the seeds that I bought from the Garden path in Victoria were very viable.  Of course, the tomato seeds I bought at the dollar store also germinated very well, so we shall see.

So far I have planted tomatoes - grape, beefsteak and lunchbox type; tomatillo - green and purple; habanero peppers, basil, nasturtiums, cos lettuce, broccoli - Calabrese and Purple Peacock.   The tables are almost full in the south facing windows, so may have to put some at the neighbors.

I am pleased with the mini soil blocker.  It really helps me check on the germination rate for the seeds.



No comments:

Post a Comment